Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Feeling Lonely

A while back I talked to a friend of mine who has an autistic son.  I told her that I thought my son was autistic and we discussed symtoms and different forms of communicating.  I asked her if she had heard of NIDS and if she did the gfcf diet.  Of all the discussion one thing that stood out in particular was that she said that it was so lonely to be a mom of an autistic child.  Its lonely to have a child that is different, constantly needing your help and attention in an extreme way.  You never stop thinking about it and never stop worrying and no one understands.  You find yourself hiding all the stresses of the day from your spouse to spare them from the anxiety.  You can't call your friends and talk about autism all day long.  She told me that even at school functions you don't really talk to the parents of other autistic kids because its just another reminder of how different your kids are.  Its lonely.  I didn't realize or even understand at the time, but now I do.  Having a child that is ill or challenged is hard.  Sometimes its so hard to just take care of them and teach them that you don't have energy to do much of anything else.  So if you're out there...feeling alone...know that you're not.  You're not alone.  You are a good mom.  And as many people keep reminding me God chose you to be this child's mom.  What a tremendous compliment that the God of heaven knew that you were the strongest best mom for this child with special needs.  Not all moms can handle it, but you can.  Trust God.  It takes a special type of person to handle this stress.  You are not alone. I am not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment