Sunday, July 27, 2014

What If

Imagine yourself in this situation.
 
What if God, the almighty creator of the world, the One who is fully trustworthy, fully just, fully loving, and the ultimate healer, came to you and told you He had a precious gift for you.
His gift was a child.
Imagine He told you that he wanted no one else but you to have this child.
Imagine He told you that this child would change your life in every way, this child would bring such incredible joy to your life.
Imagine that He then told you that your life would not be ordinary, you would not be able to have a life like everyone else, but the reward would be indescribable.
Imagine that God told you that this child would have many challenges and those challenges would make life hard often.
Imagine that God told you that He knew YOU were the perfect parents for this remarkable child.
 
What would you say?
Can you even imagine saying no?
 
Yet sometimes we question God. Why is this happening to my child?  This can't be God's plan.  What if in your sorrow or anger or depression you are missing all the joy that God has for you and for your child through this situation?
 
The fact is, God did give YOU this child as a gift.  He trusted you to care for them and He wants you to trust Him in all things and through all things, even hard times.
 
My mom told me this one day as she described what a blessing Jacob would be to my life. People sometimes lose the big picture as they struggle with deep despair, stress, financial problems, marital problems.  The big picture is that GOD is in complete control. He did give you this child.  Are you embracing your circumstances in a way that honors God and shows Him that you are thankful for His gift? 
 
For me, I find myself sometimes complaining about therapies, speech difficulties, treatment costs, safety issues. I lose the big picture. I get lost in the stress so often. 
 
God, You are holy.  Let your will be done in my life.  Remind me that YOU are in control.  Thank you for my precious gift.  I do not say NO to you, I say YES. Please show me how to use this gift to honor you. Show me how to give glory to you through all the stress or pain or hardships and in the good times and laughter and joy.  Help me in parenting all of my precious children.  Help me to see beyond my life and focus on YOU. What would you would have me do for you and your kingdom? Thank you for sending your Son to die on the cross for my sins. 
In JESUS' name,
Amen!
 
 
 
 
Psalm 127:3-5English Standard Version (ESV)
Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,
    the fruit of the womb a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
    are the children[a] of one's youth.
Blessed is the man
    who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame
    when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.[b]
 
 
 
Psalm 139:13-16English Standard Version (ESV)
13 For you formed my inward parts;
    you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.[a]
Wonderful are your works;
    my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
    intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
    the days that were formed for me,
    when as yet there was none of them.
 
 
 
Proverbs 3:5English Standard Version (ESV)
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
    and do not lean on your own understanding.

 
 


1 comment:

  1. Reading your article today was such a blessing. This is something that I am desperately trying to learn. To find the joy in every situation that we are given. I heard a quote once that if we don't find the good and joy in every situation we are shorting ourselves of spiritual growth. You are a great example of faith in your times of trial. I too believe that God is in all the details of our lives and everything is for a reason.
    I read this article the other day from a mom who also has an autistic child. She shares her story and what wonderful lessons he has taught her. Let me know what you think.
    Thank you again.
    http://www.reallifeanswers.org/everyday-faith/how-do-you-deal-with-autism-in-your-family/

    ReplyDelete